Charlie Self

M&S wrote:
Hello to the group,
Can anyone give me a heads up on the quality of the auger bit sets sold
at Lee Valley? I have been searching for a set of (new) auger bits for
use with a bit brace and so far have only come up with the same sets
offered on Amazon from several different locations. One site has an 8
pc. 24" auger set for 59.00 but they all look to be the same quality one
could expect from Harbor Freight/Northern Tool etc.. I dont know for
sure but thats just my assumption based on the pictures and price.
The Lee Valley bits, again just from the pictures, look like they may
be of a bit higher quality and given they are from Lee Valley I would
hope so. If anyone had any other suggestions for sources of new sets it
would be greatly appreciated. I have spent a lot of time searching the
archives and the net but the selection seems to be very limited.

Obviously the single flute are much better than the contractor style.
From reading the text, I'd say you get what you pay for, and a bit

more. Read the text. Lee Valley has a quirk in its catalog
explanations: they tell you what you're getting, instead of tossing you
a hard sell.

And there's another thought: you can't lose. If you don't like, LV will
refund shipping as well as the price. IIRC, they refund shipping both
ways, too.