Wes Stewart

On 12 Jul 2005 11:07:12 -0700, wrote:

I'm building a 24 x 28 garage/shop and would like to have more than an
8 foot ceiling height in it. It's going to be a 4" monolithic pad and
I was thinking of laying 1 or 2 courses of 8" concrete block and
building with standard studs to keep from doing lots of cutting. One
corner of the pad will be about 16" - 20" below grade, but I won't be
backfilling around it, so I think I will be ok.

Some questions...
1. Any issues with this approach for increased height? Will put j
bolts in block and pressure treated sil plate.

The main issue I have is why. If you're intent on a CMU stem wall,
why not just pour a standard footing and build up from there? If
you're intent on the monopour then use longer studs. You don't say
-how much- higher than 8' you want. If it's say 10', buy 12 footers
and whack them off. You'll need the offcuts for blocking anyway.

2. When running the electrical conduit (stand alone garage), would you
run the underground conduit through the floor/block so it goes straight
up the inside walls?

No. My house is CMU/slab on grade and I hate having wiring and
plumbing buried in concrete. I'm doing a bath remodel and have to
change some plumbing in an exterior wall. What a PITA.

3. If I am using 1 or 2 courses of block, is there a recommended way
of tilting up the stick framed walls onto the block/sill plate?

Depends on how much muscle you have. I built my garage mostly by
myself. 2 X 6 X 12' DF studs with the stem about 6" above the slab.
I'm a ham radio operator and had some sections of steel radio tower
around that I used as gin poles for some lifting when working alone.
(I used the same technique to lift the 30' I-joists and the 8 X 12 X
16' garage door headers) Otherwise my neighbor and I were able to tip
up 12' wall sections but it's tricky. A couple of more hands would
make it -much- easier. Nail on the braces with one nail before
lifting so that you only have to nail off the bottom end when the wall
is plumb.

4. any general suggestion/things to look out for?

Make the slab 2" thicker and use some rebar.