Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:58:24 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:50:46 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Could you explain though please Andy?

Of course. Simple. Virtually everything that we do has some
environmental impact.

Indeed, and most of us (and I'm hoping to include you here Andy g)
try to do 'our bit' towards the bigger picture?

Absolutely. As do I - for example high efficiency codensing boiler,
long before it became mandatory.

My objection is over a) being compelled and b) being coerced by ill
thought out schemes done to maximise political effect rather than
doing positive and meaningful things.

To your Little Middle England mind, that means any law made by the Labour
party.

Absolutely. Lower taxation, less involvement
of government and less
collectivism. It demonstrably doesn't work.

Collectivism works.

Do you not find 'the Government' *generally* only step in when things
get really bad.

No. They step in when political capital can be made.

Do you have problems with your bodily fluids as well?

I already gave good examples in connection with transport to and
through city centres. Remove the "need" by making it attractive not
to go, not by forcing people into smelly tin cans or penalising them
for wanting personal space.

You do you have problems with your bodily fluids.

p.s. In years to come, when we are all walking around wearing
breathing masks and with all the fossil fuel being burnt we may well
look back and say "remember when we used to run fuel burning vehicles
and were all breathing the exhaust fumes into our lungs"!

The problem is that over 80 years, we allowed the car to take over cities.
They were planned with cars in mind after WW2. A motorway went right into
the heart of London (A40(M)). When the elevated section was built in the
early 1970s, it went right past, with yards, of people's bedrooms, cut right
into an existing urban area. There is a often played news film of
Hesseltine opening the section and all the resident with banners hanging
from their windows. Hesseltine walks over, on the road, and has a chat with
them, it is that close.

People like Ken L are trying to give cities back to people, and clean them
up. And he is right. Ken L wants Londoners to benefit, not people in
Surrey who sue London as a doormat and regard it as a place to make money
from.