Doctor Evil

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Evil wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

New hybrids and electrics, yes... ;-)

Yes. I'd like to think that we'll live long enough for us to be able to
afford to replace our present car with one.

Unless you do mainly city driving, avoid the extravagant maker's claims
for hybrids as regards fuel consumption and emissions. On average out of
town journeys they're no better than a conventional petrol car.

More tripe from Mr Cranium. Autocar had a new Toyota Prius that

averaged 55
mpg in central London. In central London it was running on pollution

free
electric motors a lot, so drastically reducing pollution. All good

stuff.

Conveniently misses the fact that the environmental penalty to
manufacture and replace the batteries etc in a Prius completely
outweighs the fuel/pollution running benefits.

Proof please? The new Lth poly batteries will be made of plastic, not lead.
Don't make things up.

Also, there is no congestion charge for the Prius and parking is free.

So if
you go into London just once a day and park free, with the high mpg, the

car
pays for itself in a short time. Insurance is no more than other cars,

if
anything less, as parts are cheaper for the Prius.

Has your Prius been recalled by Toyota yet, to have it's steering mended?

No. And steering is not the issue, the driveline is.

A win.win, situation. The Prius is a big seller in London. People who
drive old pollution making V8 Rovers should be beaten by wrestlers with
batons.

So how about people who claim to run old Aston Martins in London, with
much more inefficient engines?

And run them about 1000 miles a year. Big polluters eh?