Abrasha

Al A. wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:23:44 -0700, Abrasha
wrote:

I uploaded another project to my project pages. This time I show the
making of a bracelet from scratch.

The idea for the bracelet was based a common thrust bearing.

Take a look: http://www.abrasha.com/process/pbb/pbb-00.htm

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha,
it is funny that you say that this design was inspired by a thrust
bearing. When I first saw a picture of that bracelet on your web page
several years ago, one of the first things I thought was "Gee, sorta
reminds me of a thrust bearing..."

I really enjoy your process pages. It is interesting to see how much
work goes into something that, at a glance, looks quite simple.

That's why I have the quote by Gae Aulenti on the intro page of my
process pages:

"Simplicity is the most difficult thing to achieve"

I also have that quote on the wall of above my desk.

I'll
bet simply documenting all of those steps is quite a job in itself.

No ****! I took a total of 393 photos during the making of the
bracelet, with my first digital camera. It was a Fuji MX-700, with all
of 1.5 megapixels. I took that many with various lighting settings, to
make sure that I got at least one good image of each setup that would be
usable. I then had to look at all of them and edit them to make them
usable for the site. Cropping, sharpening, color balancing, etc. Those
damn drop shadows alone took me quite some time.

For Machined Ring #4, I took 273 photos, and for the Washer Ring 173

Great job, and thanks!

You're welcome. I hope to do more. It's a lot of work, but when it's
done, it's very satisfying, and it gives people an idea of how I do my work.

I always enjoy it when other people show their process also, like when
someone rebuilds a lathe. Some time ago, there was someone in this ng,
who showed the making of a very complicated model of an airplane engine
with the cylinders in a circle. That process was great.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com