Tom Gardner

"Robin S." wrote in message
. ..

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

Screws would mean complete dissassembly to change.

I can see the upper insert being clamped with some type of over-arm, but
it looks like there's no room for any type of clamping system which sits
proud of the lower insert.

I haven't done any virtual cuts yet but imaging an end cap, like on the arm,
clamping the inserts into place. I'm thinking of a sliding piece that
backs-up the carbides then clamp the **** out of them.

I'll assume there are other components which prevent the arm from
swiveling to a vertical position (which could clear both inserts)?

But of course! The block is kinda' buried and the block is bolted onto a
flat apron from underneath.

I have the inserts shown floating out of their pockets for clairity,
imagine they are seated and clamped.

I understand what you drew, but I thought I should emphasize the
importance of a good fit.

Oh yea! On the other cutter with the round inserts I had to make hardened
pockets for the carbides. The first iteration was cold-roll and deformed
like wet clay in a few months.

I have a similar cutter with the wire passing through a hole in in 1/2"
round carbides. They have to be but-tight to each other or the hard
steel wire forces them apart and destroys the carbides and leaves a bad
burr.

I stand corrected. In sheet metal work, trim steels never touch because of
the increased tonnage and reduced life of the cutting edge.

All the wear should be on the carbides. My target is anything better
than 125,000 cuts or a week.

In my experience (heavy stamping dies), anything which moves will wear.
While the inserts will no doubt show excessive wear, having a sloppy fit
or soft bearing surfaces (cam and lever arm) will probably cause premature
failure and rework. Of course, I've never worked with wire...

I'll use a McGill follower for the activator and ride it on a Stelite
surface. Nothing lasts forever so I want the wear parts to be off the shelf
rather than make them.

Regards,

Robin