Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Jim Michaels writes:
Besides an electric kettle what else would draw more than 1.6kW in a
normal household?

Any number of kitchen devices. Toaster, grill, fryer, bread maker, clothes
iron. Some power tools. Portable heater. All of which you may want to use
in more than one position and need to be unplugged for cleaning - or
simply to be put away.

Google seems to indicate that your toasters and bread makers are the
same wattage as ours.
Your steam irons appear to range from the same to about 20% higher
wattage. How does this effect their use?, do you iron asbestos
clothes?

Probably faster heatup and more steam production.

Two 1.5kW electric fires produce the same heat as one 3kW and are more
versatile.

Electric heaters here (and I think all 230V countries) are either 2kW
or 3kW. Usually they can be switched down to 1kW if that's all you want.
Two 1.5kW electric fires would be a pain to store, and twice as expensive
to purchase. Two 1.5kW electric fires would overload a room circuit in
the US.

Admittedly grilling and frying are not usually done on portable units
in the US. but yours seem to max out at only 1900watts.

I had an old Rowenta grill when I was a student which I think my
parents now have, and that's 2kW.

US Portable power tools are up to 1,800watt. A large router is an
example.

What portable tools do you have that are more than this?

One that I was using a few days ago -- wall paper stripper at 2.4kW.
Another is hot air guns, a friend's one I've borrowed is 2.4kW.
Pressure washers are available over 2kW.

Google does not seem to find any UK microwaves over 1,000 watt output.
US full size units are also 1,000 watt output.

Look at the input power, and look for combination ovens which have
long since taken over from microwaves here. Mine, which is a bog
standard Sharp one, is 2.65kW.

--
Andrew Gabriel