Chip

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:38:35 +0100,it is alleged that Martin Angove
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

The very smallest microwave you can generally get in this country is
650W output which probably makes for 1300W energy consumption, which is
interestingly close to the nominal 1500W capacity of a standard 120V US
circuit.

1800 watts is the actual capacity, fwiw, most microwaves that I am
aware of in the US (IE those I came across while there) were around
750-800w rated output, with a 950 in one particular location (lobby of
the motel I worked in, it had a 20A plug though).

Interestingly, in most newer houses, according to code, the kitchen
*should* have separate 20A small appliance circuits for the dishwasher
and microwave[1], being 2 of the highest loading appliances. (US
dishwashers, unlike washing machines, are similar to their UK
brethren, and use a heating element for the drying cycle and to heat
the water).

[1] I don't think the code requires 20A outlets though, a duplex 15A
is allowed on a 20A circuit, most installers probably do this for
cheapness.

--
Life is like a hot bath. It feels good while you're in it, but the
longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get.