T i m

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:04:02 GMT, "PC Paul" wrote:

So, what we want in heavily polluted cities is more (new) cars! ;-)

New hybrids and electrics, yes... ;-)

I have run (and hope to again ) an electric vehicle and it worked very
well (costwise) at the time (2 weeks 'commuting' on one 50p charge,
exempt the MOT and zero road tax). However, untill electricity
generation becomes 'cleaner', I'm not sure it's any 'better' than
burning fuel in a 'clean' car? The 'hybrid' bit just extends the range
and / or speed .. now if it was a fuel cell hybrid or charged from
solar, hydro (hmm?), wind power there would only be the battery
construction / disposal to consider ;-)

And apart from the new fuel cell buses all the diesel ones need to
stay out of the city centre (doh .. PT ..)?

Very new diesels can do it too...

Good to know Paul.

Is it Japan when any vehicle over 3 years old / 60k is 'scrapped'
(sold to us more like)?

Recent thread on uk.rec.driving. Basically it becomes totally uneconomical
to run a car over 3 years old in Japan due to exorbitant inspection and tax
costs. Hence the booming export market.

Ah, it is them then (ta) .. wasn't sure if it was an urban myth etc.
It's ironic that if it's not good enough for them that it's still good
for us (and why if it's not good enough for us it's good enough for
Eastern Europe / Africa / India etc) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m