T i m

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:38:15 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.net...
Modern cars actually clean up the air they burn in terms of pollutants.
The only significant emission is CO2. And water, of course.

So why do they smell?

They don't particularly

Perhaps my sense of smell is better than yours.

You have probably been smelling longer than most of us Mary? s******

although older diesels without particulate traps
don't count.

I remember the days when I was a child (not so long ago), where standing
near urban congestion, you could see a brown fug descend over the cars and
it got hard to breathe. Now in similar circumstances, the air is
completely
clear and there is no smell at all, if you avoid any old buses.

There is. When I go into our street (not a main road with urban congestion)
in a morning I can smell the exhausts even though I can't see it.

Ah, but, in comparison with the old days .. they smell much less. If I
was in my mates garage (and old blacksmisths forge and about the size
of 4 cars) when he started up a car your eyes would start to sting
after only a few mins. Now he can have a car running for a good time
before you can smell it at all? (not saying it's any better for us
just less 'smelly')?

When next door takes his (new) car out of the garage - and brings it in so
it's not just on start up - I close our kitchen door so that the house isn't
filled with the smell.

I bet *he* can smell you tripe cooking (maybe that's why he goes out
in the car)? ;-)

T i m