bf

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I like the suggestion to add a 1x2 (3/4x1-1/2) piece on edge to the shelf
front and I think it's a great way to go because:
1. It covers the plwood edge of the shelf.
2. It adds quite a bit of stiffening.
The part I don't like is that it stiffens the shelf in an asymmetrical way,
therefore as the shelf is loaded, you may encounter twist, etc.

It seems to me that if the books can clear a 1x2 on the shelf front
(assuming you don't insert them horizontally and rotate), they can clear a
1x2 on the shelf back as well. The second 1x2 will increase the stiffness
even more and the "C channel-like" shape will be loaded more uniformly.

Opinions???

Bill Leonhardt

Bill, since he was making the back out of 3/4 ply, I don't think a
second stiffener on the back is necessary, if he attaches the shelves
to the back. Of course, if he prefers adjustable shelves, I agree with
your idea.