Rumpty

Usually a 1/8 grove and a 1/8 strip of steel have a pretty good fit....if
you can find cold rolled strip (McMaster Carr) it's exactly 1/8, drop in
your epoxy and go.

We use this method for making the tables on the Radial arm saw. You could
also use a sheet of 3/4 ply and rout a 1/2 inch deep slot in the bottom and
glue in your strip, but you'll see the slots on the under side of the shelf.

--

Rumpty

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
alexy wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

blueman wrote:

"Rumpty" writes:
IF you want to use the two 1/2" plys, rout out matching 1/8" wide

groves
1/4" deep in each ply sheet, epoxy in a 1/8' X 1/2" steel strip

into the
groves and glue up. This won't sag.

He's putting it on edge--the strong dimension. For this to work well
you will have to have the depth of the grooves at pretty close
tolerances.

Actually, using epoxy to seat the steel should eliminate this concern,
shouldn't it?

Perhaps, but I don't think I'd count on it for long term...I suppose you
could fill the groove sufficiently, but my experience is that epoxy and
smooth metal surfaces tend to separate w/ age--or maybe I'm just
unlucky....