mac davis

Default Oneway Jumbo Jaws - mini review

I finally broke down and bought a set, after trying shop made ring clamps,
turner's tape on the face plate, sock on the chuck, etc... I just didn't want to
part with the $90, and didn't want to have another set of jaws to change..

I bought a set for my Oneway Talon chuck at the local saw shop yesterday morning
and had to try them out...
Bottom line: I should have just bought these suckers when I got the chuck, or at
least the following week, when I bought the spigot jaws... they're wonderful!

A: they're more than worth the money, IMO, for the time they save and for the
(for me) vast improvement of the bottom of my bowls and boxes..

B: I should have realized that you don't change jaws for every bowl... I didn't
use the ring clamp every time I finished a bowl before, I waited until I had
enough bowls that needed bottom work and then did them all in one session..

I had a stack of bowls waiting for me to do the bottoms, my least favorite part
of bowl turning... probably about 15 of assorted shapes and sizes..
I did the first 2 or 3 in the time that it would have taken me to put ONE bowl
in the ring chuck and get it centered and running true!

I haven't tried some of the tricks you can do with these jaws, like using the
rubber grippers screwed directly onto the chuck as a mini vise, bit I can see
where this is going to be a very useful tool...

IMHO, if new turners had these jaws, there would be much less frustration and
more joy in bowl turning.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing