Rick

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:gGRAe.5027$zj4.425@trndny06...

"tomco2000" wrote in message

My single oven went out and the wife wants a double oven with one
conventional and one convection oven. The current oven is on a
dedicated circuit with #10 wire and a 30 amp breaker. There is no
practial way to change the existing wiring.

The oven web site says the double oven needs to have #8 wire and a

40
amp breaker. The maximum load stated is 8000 W. I have been told

(by
amateur electricians) that unless I have both ovens on at the same

time
on high heat, I could run the ovens with no problems with the

existing
wire and breaker. They believe there is a big enough cushion

built in
to allow this operation.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

It would not be to code.
Sooner or later, both ovens will be on. Why have them if you can't

use
them.
If you ever sell the house, the new owner may not take the

precautions you
do.
If you do use both ovens eventually it will pop the breaker. You

may not
notice that until you go to take dinner out and find it did not

cook.
You have the potential to pull more amps than the wire is rated for.

How so? The breaker is sized for the wire. On a typical branch circuit
with many outlets you certainly have the potential to draw more than
the wire is rated for-that's what the breaker is for.

Not a
safe condition, especially since ovens tend to stay on for an hour

or three
at a time drawing current on that wire.

It may be easier than you think to do it right. Call an electrician

and ask
him to take a look a quote it. A real one, not the amateurs you have

asked.

I would not do it in my house, nor would I ever recommend anyone

else do so.