Tony Hwang

SQLit wrote:
"Rob Mills" wrote in message
news:wmFAe.3820$Zt.3318@okepread05...

Been snooping around and notice that the cheap (office depot and etc)
plastic strip (5 recep) surge protectors have only one MOV but the more
expensive ones have one MOV at each receptacle. Looks to me as if you

could

use metal recep boxes that would hold two or three receps and place a MOV
across each recep, put a metal cover on it and a short 3 wire 12 gauge

cord

and have a much better surge protector to protect sensitive equipment for
not much more than the computer/office stores want for the plastic cased
ones.
I have found MOV's rated at 150 volts and 80 Joules at this web site for
$3.81 each,
http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=TR&subcat=TS1

Any Thoughts?? RM ~

PS, Think I would put a 15 amp push button circuit breaker on the box

Your correct. However 80 joules is not a lot of power. My surge strips are
rated for 300. My whole house protector in the panel is rated for 1500 with
a let through of 300. So far the combination has worked to keep everything
safe.

You might want to read this page

http://www.jascoproducts.com/cgi-loc...html?E+scstore

If your serious about surges then read some of the information by Mike Holt.

Hi,
Joule is not a measurement of power it is unit of energy.
Let me put it this way, if you get a direct hit nothing uch will work.
Telling from real world experience.
And real protector for whole house costs a lot. And surge current is
much faster than breaker or fuse.
Tony