John Hearns

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:06:03 +0000, Rob wrote:

Hi

I live in a top floor flat. The rear rooms which I use as bedroom/office
get really hot as the sun is beating on them all day long.

Ive been looking at small air con units. Ive been told that its no good
putting the vent out of an open window and this doesnt look good either.

The portable single units, ie. the ones which use a flexible hose
to vent out of the window, should come with a flat piece of plastic.
you close the window onto this. The plastic piece has an oval shaped
hole, which the hose clips onto.
This assumes of course that you have window which opens in the fashion
of a sash window.

These type of units work just fine - I'm sitting in front of one now.

I do agree what a proper indoor/outdoor unit, joined by pipes would better
and neater.
But if all you want is some cooling on these hot days of the year, try a
portable unit.