PC Paul

"Jim Michaels" wrote in message

Two 1.5kW electric fires produce the same heat as one 3kW and are more
versatile.

And cost twice as much..

Admittedly grilling and frying are not usually done on portable units
in the US. but yours seem to max out at only 1900watts.

US Portable power tools are up to 1,800watt. A large router is an
example.

My 3HP semi-portable contractors saw can be plugged in anywhere here -
garage, shed, house. No need to run special 240V or 3 phase lines for it.

What portable tools do you have that are more than this?

Are you hiding the two man SDS Plus Plus Plus drills?

lol - I want one!!

It makes no sense to me to have two different power circuits in a house.

This question always amuses me -- it never comes from an American
who is familiar with appliances in use around the rest of the world
though. Of course you don't have portable appliances over 1.6kW, as
no one can take them home and plug them in. That means there are
ranges of products in use around the rest of the world which simply
aren't shipped to the US. Many microwaves here are over 2kW.

Google does not seem to find any UK microwaves over 1,000 watt output.
US full size units are also 1,000 watt output.

Often we have combi microwaves with a 1200w microwave *and* a 1300w heating
element for grilling/browning which get used simultaneously. 2500w. Try the
LG MC766YS.

Out of
curiosity I went looking for my microwave model when I was in the
US to see how the price compared, but couldn't find it -- only the
bottom of the range ones were there. Then I suddenly realised why.

You are shopping in the wrong stores.

Another example is vacuum cleaners. On the face of it, you do have
identical models, but they are all lower power. This I couldn't
initially understand as ours are typically 1.5kW which can just be
squeezed out of a US outlet, so I asked someone in that industry.

We have 1400 and 1500 watt units available from the major
manufacturers

1400w is a small one here. 2000w is easily available even in a small
cylinder vacuum. I guess thats partly why built in vacuums are more popular
over there than here.