BigWallop

"Mogweed" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"AlexW" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

They aren't a pest, as it says on the site you
linked to, but they can breed and make life hell

In what way?

Mary

Make you itchy at a distance of 10 feet ???

Oh, poor baby!

Crunch under foot ???

Don't tread on 'em.

Get into your smalls ???

Huh?

Mary

etc etc

Alex

Mary, you're obviously some sort of tree-hugging, green, eco-warrior type

of
person who doesn't like to kill any living thing and that's fair enough

but
you have to understand that some people are uncomfortable around bugs and
some people are just plain frightened.

When I was 8 years old (now 47) I was unfortunate enough to somehow get an
earwig in my ear whilst I slept. You cannot imagine how terrified I was to
have this live thing "eating into my head" as I thought, and I was

literally
screaming the place down while my parents efforts to calm me down and get
said offending insect out of my ear did little to placate me.

Consequently, I have been left with an absolute and abject terror of
anything that creeps, crawls, slithers and is even remotely insect-like.

I'm
an 18-stone, 6ft male but I would rather move out of my house than share

it
with just one beetle, no matter how nice or unharmful you seem to think
these creatures are, or how irrational you'll think my fear is. I'm afraid
that, for me at least, it's a matter of getting them before they get me

and
a little more understanding on your part may not go amiss.

Mogweed.

I don't see where Mary said anything about people not having a fear of
creepy crawlies. She was only saying that these little creatures aren't the
type that eat people, and that they shouldn't be treated as such and with so
much fear to go all in war and destroy things to get at them.

Your incident was harrowing for you and I know how that type of fear of a
situation can be, but Mary was trying to help in relieving the fear, not
bolster it for anyone.

My own story is of being buried alive in a trench collapse. I was trapped
in complete darkness for just over an hour. I had air to breath from a pipe
which had luckily slid into the gap where my head lay, although I couldn't
see any light through it. I now have a terrible fear of being in the dark.
Real panic sets in, although I do try hard to fight through it. Anyone who
tells me to stop being stupid doesn't know how these feelings really get to
you. I don't go flaming them or shouting them down for not knowing how it
feels for me. I understand that they have not experienced the feelings I
have, and that they usually think they are helping. I just smile and nod
and let them get on with.

Life's to short to try and make others feel your feelings. They never will.