James Sweet

Hello - new problem... The filters and air outlet are fine. The dryer
stopped in the middle of drying. I then pushed the start button and
just heard a humming sound. Does that sound like the motor?

If it is the motor - can a friend with average dryer knowledge easily
repair it? If so, would it be safe to run if he didn't put the right
wires back on the new motor?

In my experience the motors very rarely fail, though you could remove it and
spin it by hand to see if the bearings are ok. If it has a resettable
thermal protector, monitor voltage across that when it shuts down and see if
it's because that's opened.