Charles

I spent about two hours this afternoon removing the fluorescent display and
replacing the electrolytic capacitor hidden underneath. electricitym was right.
The display (a Futaba 1-519-392-11) was not socketed. It is soldered directly to
the printed circuit board and held off the board by a plastic spacer.

There are about 80 connections to unsolder which didn't take long. The only
hangup was releasing the spacer from the board. One of the three tabs which
secures the spacer to the board was tight. I inspected and straightened all the
pins on the display before reinserting it so lining the pins up to reinsert the
display went well.

The display which was exhibiting some uneven illumination yesterday looks good.

--
Chuck