DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
doo wrote:

"This set is complete (one of each size) but some of the pieces have
been replaced by pieces from other sets. Some pcs. are marked "Webber A
croblox", some "Webber croblox", some "Webber Starrett", some "Webber A
croblox L.S.S. Co.", some "Webber Cleveland, O", some "Webber L.S.S.
CO.", one is C.E Johnansson and one is PTW. Most are simply marked
"Webber". "

Damn, how "complete" is a set comprised of many?

1) Most of them are Webber, and the marking in sets does vary with
the size.

2) The C.E. Johansson is of equal quality to the Webber ones,
just a different vendor. "Webber" is the line carried by
Starrett, "Jo" blocks are from B&S. Obviously, "L.S.S" is
another form of "Starrett". Only those marked "C.E. Johansson"
or PTW are of a different brand.

3) When a set has been in use for some time, some blocks wear too
small for their marked size. A re-certifying service will
replace those which are out of spec with others, of different
brands, but will document them in the certificate. I have a set
of (mostly) "Jo" blocks (C.E. Johansson), with some which have
been replaced in the process of re-certifying the set. I forget
who made the most of the replacement blocks, though it well
might have been the PTW mentioned above -- the line that the
certifying service carried for replacements.

As long as those replacements are properly listed on the
certification form, I would consider them to be equivalent to the
original Webber blocks.

However -- if the set had been built up out of rejects from the
certification process, I would consider it to be close to useless.
(Still, probably *much* better than the +/- 0.000050" Chinese sets.)

So -- unless we know what the certification form says, and
compare it to the blocks in the set, we really don't know much, other
than that *some* of the blocks have been replaced at some time by
someone. (I would presume that all of the ones marked Webber in some
form or other are part of the original set, just as some of mine in the
"Jo" blocks set are marked in full "C. E. Johansson, while other are
marked with shorter forms, and the smallest are marked simply "CEJ".

I do agree that most of the prices listed are rather optimistic
especially with no chance to examine what is being offered (as I believe
to be the case with most of us).

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564