keith

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:57:06 -0700, trader4 wrote:

"A pipe wrench should do the trick while you've got it drained to free
the plug... "

Or use a friends vice. Or just go to HD and buy another longer nipple
and cap.

Good idea, but I went one step better. I bought an elbow and a short
nipple so it takes a right turn and empties in the rear of the snowblower.
I mashed the threads into the elbow on the side facing rear so that's not
a problem. It's easy to take the cap off since it turns at a right angle
to the engine thread. ...unfortunately the transmission bearings failed
in January so I had to buy a new blower. What the heck, it lasted 12
winters and long enough through the season until HomeDespot was blowing
the blowers out.

This sounds like the classic problem of the idiots who tighten wheel
lugs with an air wrench so tight that you can't get them off with the
usual wrench provided with the spare. A friend of mine had a place
tighten his that way. He discovered it right away and went back. The
service guy tells him that they tighten them to the appropriate ft-lbs
of torque. To prove it, he sets a torque wrench to that number, puts it
on a lug and when it gives at the set number, says "See, it's right!"
The imbecile not realizing that all he proved was that it was at LEAST
the set torque. It actually was torqued to far more.

OTOH, my wife had a wheel fall off that was tightened to the "right" FP.
Most garages don't want to take that chance, rotors be damned.

--
Keith