Bill Leonhardt

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just to clarify on my other post.. when I say to add a 1.5 inch of
hardwood to the front of the 3/4" shelf, I mean that the top 3/4" of
the edging will be fastened to the shelf, and the bottom 3/4" of the
edging will hang down. This helps resist sagging.

After you glue the hardwood to the ply, you can put a 1/4" roundover on
the on the hardwood edging. I do this because I think it looks nice.

I like the suggestion to add a 1x2 (3/4x1-1/2) piece on edge to the shelf
front and I think it's a great way to go because:
1. It covers the plwood edge of the shelf.
2. It adds quite a bit of stiffening.
The part I don't like is that it stiffens the shelf in an asymmetrical way,
therefore as the shelf is loaded, you may encounter twist, etc.

It seems to me that if the books can clear a 1x2 on the shelf front
(assuming you don't insert them horizontally and rotate), they can clear a
1x2 on the shelf back as well. The second 1x2 will increase the stiffness
even more and the "C channel-like" shape will be loaded more uniformly.

Opinions???

Bill Leonhardt