JohnM

Default Millermatic 250

Ignoramus27036 wrote:
A local auction house will put it up on sale in a couple of weeks. I
looked at the manual from millerwelds.com, and realized that I really
want that machine, provided that it is in a good shape.

It needs 44 amps at 230V, which is fine for me as I have a good 60 or
75A subpanel in the garage.

My question is, when I go there, what should I pay attention to? I do
not think that they will power it up.

Also, tey will be selling several clausing production floor
drills. Are those much better than a inexpensive home improvement
store drill press, for a unsophisticated user like myself?

That's a good machine, worth having. If they won't power it up it sure
seems I'd not make the same bid I'd make if I could try it out..

To me, the whip affects the value a bit- a 6' Tweco whip is worth $50 or
so less than a 12' Barnard. But that's just me..

Open the side of the enclosure, take a few good whiffs in there. The
aroma of burned insulation lasts quite a while and it's pretty distinctive.

If there's a recepticle where the welder sits, plug 'er in and see what
happens (preferably when nobody is looking, don't want someone else to
get good news too)- if it don't fire up, make sure others see that- if
it goes cheap enough it's worth repairing. I don't hesitate to act like
the place belongs to me at an auction, I'll monkey with anything that
hasn't sold yet..

John