CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Pagan wrote:
"Rob Mills" wrote in message
news:wmFAe.3820$Zt.3318@okepread05...

Been snooping around and notice that the cheap (office depot and etc)
plastic strip (5 recep) surge protectors have only one MOV but the more
expensive ones have one MOV at each receptacle. Looks to me as if you

could

use metal recep boxes that would hold two or three receps and place a MOV
across each recep, put a metal cover on it and a short 3 wire 12 gauge

cord

and have a much better surge protector to protect sensitive equipment for
not much more than the computer/office stores want for the plastic cased
ones.
I have found MOV's rated at 150 volts and 80 Joules at this web site for
$3.81 each,
http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=TR&subcat=TS1

Any Thoughts?? RM ~

PS, Think I would put a 15 amp push button circuit breaker on the box

There have been some seriously heated discussions about surge protectors.
Personally, I feel they are a small part in overall electronics protection,
and aren't much good at much more than providing a bunch of convenient
outlets. Good grounding is an absolute must, with a direct circuit to the
breaker box if possible.

As for the circuit breaker, that will do a fine job in protecting the wires,
but it adds no protection to anything else hooked up to it. Better
protection would be provided by a fuse, fast or slow blow depending on your
equipment. It's more of a hassle, but it'll be a lot faster than a circuit
breaker.

Pagan

Fuses are circuit breakers are the same type of device for generally the
same purpose. They protect wiring. For protection of equipment and
people you use a different type of device. Thus the CB is of no use.

As for making your own surge protector, go for it. But I hope you know
all the ins and outs and don't put yourself or your family or your
equipment at undue risk.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert