Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Steve" writes:
I wondered what similar peoples experiences are and if there are any
specific laws around to state when you can and can't work and at what level.

If I'm going to do anything very noisy, I always check with the
neighbours first. I also make it clear that if any noise is bothering
them, they should let me know immediately. Consequently, I've never
had any complaint, even when channeling into the party wall brickwork
and sinking 8 socket back boxes. I get on with my neighbours very
well. I don't do any noisy work after around 8pm, unless I know they
are out.

The only law I`ve found is the 'Noise Act 1996' which talks about penalties
for night time noise between 11pm and 7am. Everything else seems to be
subjective based upon actual noise level and circumstances. As such I can't
really gauge what noise I am entitled to make and when. My only argument at
the moment is that I can spend a couple intensive months getting the noisy
jobs done or spend a couple of years doing 1 hr a night until its finished.
I tend to also weigh in that I don't complain about his TV being too loud or
them stomping around on their wooden floor. Bit of give and take I say ...
Anyone else had this problem or come across the law on this one ?!

You are looking at this from the wrong angle, and heading for a neighbour
dispute. It's _your_ problem that you are not there to do the work at more
reasonable time, not your neighbour's. You might try to mitigate this by
getting on better with your neighbour, and ask him when it would be
convenient for you to do some noisy work. He might then let you know when
he's going on holiday, so you can make noise later into the night, and
offer to keep an eye on his place for him. Don't start by quoting the law
at him -- start by thinking of what's reasonable from his point of view.

--
Andrew Gabriel