Hugh

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Hugh" writes:
Do electrical regulations allow for the use of twin and earth cable
between
an isolating switch and fuseboard?

Yes. Some wiring accessory products might not handle T&E too well,
in particular, getting the cables into separate entry holes without
some length being unsheathed, given the T&E sheath is lost when
you have to separate the cores.

Also, T&E is _very_ much harder to handle than singles of the same
size. I did a run of 16mm˛ T&E, and getting it to go where you
want, particularly in a confined space, is quite difficult.
Tape over the cut ends, so when it springs back and swipes you
across the face, a piece of sharp copper doesn't slice into your
skin.

Also, for this application, the CPC (earth conductor) probably
isn't large enough. In 16mm˛, it's 6mm˛. I don't know what
it is in 25mm˛, but it might be only 10mm˛ when you need 16mm˛.

IME, SWA is more commonly used for such cable runs (but is probably
even harder than T&E to route, and has same issues with cable sheath).

About 15 years ago I had an istallation and which appears thoroughly
professionally carried out -
From meter to isolator - normal tails -
From isolator switch to consumer unit - twin core and earth (like cooker
cable - 16mm??)
If OK, what size cable is appropriate for this normal domestic
installation
as I want to move the fuseboard (and change to a split load with RCD
type)
to avoid crossing cellar which is occasionally under water!!

Should be 25mm˛ T&E for a 100A supply, but would have to be
surface mounted. ISTR T&E doesn't come any bigger than 25mm˛.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks all,
I've just had confirmation from a qualified electrician (the one who'll
certificate the work) and he endorsed a lot of what you all said, BUT:
New installations must have meter tails to the fuseboard or armoured cable,
which it must be if the distance is over one metre.
But as I'm just moving the meter can use the 16mm twin and earth - BUT must
add a 16mm earth cable (as was pointed out the integral one is 6mm), and
I'll get the cert.

There's plenty of room to manoeuvre so not a problem bending the cable -
I'll use an MK split load 8way fuseboard, and there's plenty of room inside.

Thanks again.
Hugh