Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:52:53 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

T i m wrote:

It's just possible that 1) I'm willing to admit what I do / don't do
and 2) don't 'conform' to the more common stereotypical pub going
football / rugby / cricket / golf / fishing / cinema / theater
restaurant / book reading fan?

Kind of reminds me of a scene from one of the carry on films,

snip chuckle ;-)

(having said that, I don't do many from the above list either)

I wonder if there are links between your 'position' in the
psychometric profile thingy and your interest (or lack of) in
particular subjects?

I was talking to another engineer / tekky neighbour yesterday and I
mentioned I didn't follow football and he said "nor do I .. I hate it"
.. ? (I don't hate it I just hate some of the people it attacts). I
can think of at least 3 other engineering types that have no interest
in football either?

I would put it slightly differently

I don't mind watching the odd important game, but...

Having it shoved in my face on multiple channels, taking advertised
programs which I want to see off the air and replacing it with football
really gets on my tits.

Maxie, please diet, then the tits will subside.

As does the fact that the tribal violence which often goes along with
football is tolerated, because it's football. If it was anything else,
it would be outlawed straight away

Maxie, tribal violence in football went 25 years ago. Jewish American
families and bent Russians now come in to buy the footy teams.

Same with the Olympics .. I think many folk proport to 'follow it'
because it's the trendy thing to do rather than because they are
*really* interested in it. I had the F1 on at the weekend (I wasn't
really watching it) and was more interested in the fact it was at
Silverstone as we were there a while ago for a round of the Touring
Cars Champs. My Brother in Law was there on the day (Company 'box')
and I actually made a point of trying to remembering the name of the
winner so that I could talk to my BIL about it (Montoyia was it....?).

So, I wonder how many folk do similar *mainly* just to stay 'in' with
their mates .. to be able to keep up / join in down the pub. If I was
in a group that started talking about books / films (apart from
science fiction g) sport etc I would sit out?

I've always had the idea of opening a pub where there's an emphasis on
more intellectual pursuits - chess boards, a reading area, live acoustic
music, quality beers etc.

Maxie!! You will really sink then. You will drink the profits in a drunken
stupor.

Of course, it would prolly be dead in the water

Maxie, with you in charge with alcohol around it would be.