Chip

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:35:44 +0100,it is alleged that Capitol
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

I believe that UL cables are
using higher temperature resistant coverings than the UK, perhaps
someone knows this?

Usually 90 degrees C (yes, it's specified in celsius).
But derating and so forth means you have some tables in the NEC that
require you to use 60 or 75 C temperature ratings.

Older cable was I think 60 degrees C.

Incidentally, my pocket reference for US wiring specifies 12g 3.3mm2 as
being the minimum required size for US homes today(NEC code)

That depends if the code is adopted in your particular area, most
areas don't enforce the entire code AIUI.

Areas can also specify requirements over and above the NEC, such as
Chicago requiring EVERYTHING in conduit, everywhere.

and the
maximum voltage drop as being 2%. For the example above a likely wire
gauge would be 9g! 6.6mm2! With only radial wiring, the cost penalty is
phenomenal!

You can't generally get odd numbered wire guages and even 10 gauge
will *not* connect to light switches.
Having 10x100w lamps on one circuit would be unheard of in a home,
remember the circuits are shared power/lighting, with generally an
average of 1-2 rooms/circuit for low loads, and living areas 1 circuit
per room minimum.

I agree, the US electrical system uses a _lot_ more copper than the UK
one, however, cable is cheap, and recyclable.

Rewiring a US house is almost exactly comparable with a UK one in
cost, I rewired a 2 bedroom house for my ex in Ohio, (no permits
required provided we didn't replace the main panel, according to the
city inspector). It cost about $400 in cable, (I used all 12G) another
$150 or so in switches/outlets, $200 in light fixtures (fans raised
the cost there), and another hundred for odd sundries, cable clips,
wirenuts and a couple of boxes.
(we didn't replace the old electrical boxes in most cases as they were
reusable)

That's about GBP 600 all told, not bad for a total rewire. We spent a
weekend stripping down the old cable and taking it to the scrap dealer
for cigarette money g.

--
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were REAL men,
women were REAL women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were