Hoopster

Default Whirlpool Electric Dryer Problem

Hello,

I have an electric dryer that is about 7 years old. I'm a beginner and
no nothing about repairs or problems, but I did a little research
online.

Here is the problem:

1. Dryer starts and runs fine for 15 minutes then shuts down (probably
a safety mechanism)..

2. If I wait 30-60 minutes the dryer will startup on it's own again
(if it still had time left for drying)

3. There is an electrical/rubber burning type smell coming from the
dryer.

Here is what's been done:

I had a friend take the dryer apart and oil the motor parts that
needed it. This worked for about 1 month and now it's doing the same
thing. He also cleaned out the lint in the dryer.

Here's what I think is the problem and I just want some confirmation:

The dryer motor is heating up because the bearings are bad. This
caused the safety to kick in and the machine to stop. Once the motor
cools down, it will then restart and continue heating. It appears to
be a bad motor that needs to be replaced. The motor cost $100.00 - the
friend will install it for $20.00 and the dryer cost $350.00 brand
new.

Two Questions:

Does it sound like the motor?

Should I repair or just replace the dryer (I don't have a lot of money
but also do not want to repair it again in another 6 months because of
a another problem)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoopster