Peter Taylor

Default bearers or joists

Rosie wrote
Well, arse, due to writing down the wrong order number I now have parts for
a large deck but instead of 80x80 bearers I've got 47 x 150 joists.

arse
arse
arse

My options seem to be either to try and put the deck together with the
joists or to get bearers in (with the extra cost) and have a load of spare
joists...

This is a ground level deck.

What should I do?

ROSIE

Using the 150 deep joists will, I guess, make the deck 70mm higher than you
intended. If this is OK then I would use the joists. They are only 10% more
volume of timber than the bearers but can carry more than twice the load over
the same span.

Peter