Charles

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:sIGAe.4086$Gk4.3588@trnddc01...
Yeah give that a shot, those Radio Shack desoldering irons work pretty well

for that sort of thing, one of the few worthwhile things they sell.

I've got my trusty Edsyn Silverstat Soldapullt at hand. It works well if I keep
it clean and greased. (About twenty years ago the nice people at Clearco
Products sent me a 2 ounce sample of their silicone grease. I love that stuff.)

Also if it has pins on both sides you may find that desoldering one side is

sufficient to flip the display up and get to that cap.

Those pins look pretty stout and I think I need to heat up the pins anyway.

I took the cover off the receiver this morning to monitor some voltages. As
luck would have it, the display, which was dim when the cover was on, is fine
now.

This is beginning to smell like a cold solder joint. I had the same problem
with a Sony TV a while back. Heavy components vibrate slightly while going over
the solder bath on the conveyor. They keep vibrating while the solder cools.
As I resoldered the connections to the flyback transformer of that TV receiver,
one of the joints gave an audible crack as I relieved the tension on it. After
that it quit eating the horizontal drive transistor.

Maybe the fluorescent display has the same problem.

--
Chuck