Simon Avery

Default Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter?

Dave Plowman wrote:

Hello Dave

Not machined, no - but the cut edge is clean and straight.
Can't really see any major difference once they're laid.

DP| Perhaps where the edge is exposed - you'll need to grind it
DP| smooth to avoid possible finger damage when cleaning etc.
DP| You don't have to bother if it's machine cut.

Ah. Yes, it would be better there. TBH I tend to buy tiles that have
the odd end-finished one included, and use them. Even a neat finish
looks grubby if the glaze is a different colour. (Although I have been
known to paint with enamel when I did run out of end-coloured ones
once... )

DP| Could be I'm not as skilled as a pro with a hand cutter -
DP| but then I'd guess this applies to many here. And given that
DP| an electric cutter is no more expensive than a good hand
DP| one, to me there's no contest for DIY.

You may just have persuaded me. I've had to give back the lovely
aluminium cutter I was using, and when I redo my bathroom this winter
I'll prolly buy one of yon little whizzy things, rather than buy a
cheapie hand cutter.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/