Michael Houghton

Howyd!

In article . com,
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
[snip]

I don't quite see how a battery cell could reverse its voltage. The
voltage is the consequence of the difference in the electrode
potentials. To reverse voltage the materials of the anode and cathode
would have to change their atomic structure...

The cells won't be absolutely identical, and one will likely run down
just a bit faster than the others (especially with time). As you run
the battery down, that weak cell will go absolutely flat first, and
then be driven by the remaining cells in the wrong polarity. That is,
it will start charging from the other cells, but with its polarity
reversed. That's especially bad for the battery.

I really really would discourage folk from using anything other than a
proper battery charger, particularly with Li-Ion. In the early days of

Well, yep, that would be good advice.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/