Wayne Lundberg

"Robert Latest" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I'm having to fix a steel cable (1/8" dia) to a small metal ball (1/4")
in order to hook the cable into a slot. This is a replacement part for a
device I've been using, but due to overload the original factory-made
connection went -- the cable progressively slipped out of the ball.

I had a local workshop make a replacement -- they stuck the cable
through a brass ball, jammed a conical piece of steel into the center of
the open end of the cable, and liberally bathed the whole thing in
solder. Upon my first trial, the joint snapped with a loud pang when it
wasn't even loaded with half of its intended strength (max force in
normal use will be about 700lbs).

My question is: How is this done professionally? Of course I could just
order the original replacement part, but with overseas shipping and all
I'd like to save some time by having this made locally.

The design of the unit, regrettably, doesn't allow any other way of
fixing the cable to the rest.

Thanks,
robert

I owned and operated a machine shop next to the Denver airport and swaged
cable as part of our services. You need a high impact swager and the right
die for the part to be fitted to the cable. No solder nor welding is
involved. It actually cold fuses the fitting to the cable end. Look for a
shop doing aircraft repair or servicing.

Wayne
www.pueblaprotocol.com