Choreboy

RicodJour wrote:

Choreboy wrote:

When I mentioned the lack of felt to my never-wrong neighbor, he told me
many roofers have told him that's the best way to do it. Should I ask
his wife to tape a shingle over his mouth?

No, of course not. Staple hammer.

My BIL has exprience with shingles and will help me. He's busy, so I
want to do as much as possible alone. If a staple hammer is a stapler
swung like a hammer, he has one. He used nails to patch my roof with
felt, so maybe he doesn't know about stapling felt as mentioned below.

Stapling sounds faster than nailing. What size staples should be used?
How should they be positioned? If his staple hammer isn't available,
would a stapler work?

My roof has a 6-in-12 pitch. I plan to reroof myself. Does roofing
felt provide decent footing? (Shingles with loose grit underfoot can
make a guy a little uneasy.)

6/12 is a walker, no big deal. Don't get nervous and don't make the
mistake beginning rock climbers make. If you lean into the roof,
you're putting outward force on your feet.

My BIL's roof is probably 6/12. Years ago I helped him put metal on the
north slope. Then I painted it with three coats. Then I installed and
maintained an antenna mast, including lowering the mast to work on the
amplifier. At that pitch, traction on the metal was unreliable, but I
didn't mind because the roof broke to a lower pitch below. Traction on
the shingled south slope began to worry me as the shingles deteriorated.

Stay upright,

Don't you have to kneel, sit, or lie to work? A neighbor redid his
12/12 roof fifteen years ago. He used a piece of foam rubber for
comfort and traction. It's rolled up on the joists of his garage. Is
foam that old reliable for roof work?

In stepping off the eave onto a ladder a slip could be disastrous.
Having the ladder long enough so I can stay upright and grab it near
shoulder height seems to make the stepoff more foolproof. Where else is
it important to stay upright?

wear the
right footing,

I suppose soles shouldn't be stiff or slippery. Are there other requirements?

tie yourself off if your feel better or use a chicken
ladder (not really necessary).

What's a chicken ladder? I have used a rope when working near eaves.

Or you can use roof jacks.
http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...ing/roof_5.htm

I like the idea. It would also provide a place for tools and bundles of
shingles. Afterward, are the nail holes sealed with roofing cement?

If it's hot out the building paper rips more easily, so you want to
make sure it's well stapled. Try to work in the shade or cooler parts
of the day if possible.

In summer I try to stay out of the sun from 9 AM to 6 PM, or at least 10
to 5. That still leaves time for lots of shingles. Is nailing still
the best way? Using asphalt to stick a nail to the face of the hammer
sounds like a time saver. (My BIL told me that trick.)

The whole roof is about 20 squares. For now we're thinking of doing a
section of five squares, separated by peaks from the rest of the roof.
Does that sound good?