DonC

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"wkearney99" wrote in message
. If it is just to have a deck, it is silly,

IMO.

Some folks prefer a wood deck surface over concrete, tile, stone or

other
masonry-type product. Why give them grief about it? That and, in many
cases, it's a helluva lot easier to install a deck than the effort to
install a concrete pad. Especially in areas with freezing temps.

Grief? It is my opinion. (note the IMO above) Take it or leave it, agree
or not, I really don't care. Sometimes people don't think of alternatives
so I mention them. Decks have become "stylish" and are often installed in
stupid places. The OP asked for an opinion, so I gave one. I don't have

look at it, install it, or maintain it, so I don't care what he does in

the
end.

As for the freezing areas, an improperly installed deck can get pretty out
of whack from frost heaves.

As can an improperly installed slab. The easy solution is proper
installation. Get the posts down below the frost line, etc.

However, FWIW, I also think a slab makes a lot more sense as it's a lot
easier to maintain. But wouldn't the world be boring if everybody built the
same thing? : )