Rob Mills

Default Surge protector, roll your own

Been snooping around and notice that the cheap (office depot and etc)
plastic strip (5 recep) surge protectors have only one MOV but the more
expensive ones have one MOV at each receptacle. Looks to me as if you could
use metal recep boxes that would hold two or three receps and place a MOV
across each recep, put a metal cover on it and a short 3 wire 12 gauge cord
and have a much better surge protector to protect sensitive equipment for
not much more than the computer/office stores want for the plastic cased
ones.
I have found MOV's rated at 150 volts and 80 Joules at this web site for
$3.81 each,
http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=TR&subcat=TS1

Any Thoughts?? RM ~

PS, Think I would put a 15 amp push button circuit breaker on the box