3T39

Hello, 3T39!
You wrote to Mike on Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:10:36 +0100:

M I was about to contact a repair shop, when I managed to find the
M vertical section on the motherboard.

M I gave it a clean with a cotton bud, as it was thick with dust. The
M tv's over 20 years old.

M Anyhow, it seems to be working now...!

M It was mentioned above about spraying component cooler on the
M components after the TV has started to work which may help in finding a
M bad semiconductor.
T Out of curiosity, what is this component cooler? Is it something like
T WD40? Or something completely different?

T It's possible that your probing with a cotton bud has moved the faulty
T joint and caused it to connect a little better, but I'm in no doubt It's
T still there. I say joint, because reading your posts, I think on balance
T it's a little more likely to be a bad, thermal sensitive, joint than a
T faulty component. But of course I could be wrong here. It's the solder
T side of this mainboard around the vertical oscillator that you need the
T magnifier, reflow any bad or cracked joints. Concentrate on the items
T that use most power ( big stuff, and anything fastened to a lump of
T aluminum) as these will fail first. The cooler mentioned earlier is
T basically a chemical with a very rapid evaporation rate in a spray can,
T so when a component is sprayed the evaporation carries away huge chunks
T of heat.

Meant to mention as well, there four coloured, fairly heavy wires going to
the scan coils which plug into a socket on the mainboard. check the joints
of the socket

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: