3T39

Hello, Mike!
You wrote on 11 Jul 2005 07:58:10 -0700:

M I was about to contact a repair shop, when I managed to find the
M vertical section on the motherboard.

M I gave it a clean with a cotton bud, as it was thick with dust. The
M tv's over 20 years old.

M Anyhow, it seems to be working now...!

M It was mentioned above about spraying component cooler on the
M components after the TV has started to work which may help in finding a
M bad semiconductor.
Out of curiosity, what is this component cooler? Is it something like
WD40? Or something completely different?

It's possible that your probing with a cotton bud has moved the faulty joint
and caused it to connect a little better, but I'm in no doubt It's still
there. I say joint, because reading your posts, I think on balance it's a
little more likely to be a bad, thermal sensitive, joint than a faulty
component. But of course I could be wrong here. It's the solder side of
this mainboard around the vertical oscillator that you need the magnifier,
reflow any bad or cracked joints. Concentrate on the items that use most
power ( big stuff, and anything fastened to a lump of aluminum) as these
will fail first. The cooler mentioned earlier is basically a chemical with a
very rapid evaporation rate in a spray can, so when a component is sprayed
the evaporation carries away huge chunks of heat.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: