Daniel A. Mitchell

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:43:52 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I have been thinking about buying a Taig lathe for making small pins
and related parts. I have larger lathes but it seems like they are
always tied up when I need to make a small part. So, I was wondering
how well these lathes work and if they are comparable to larger lathes
if scale is taken into effect.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

I got the Unimat 3 before the SB 9A but enjoy having both.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I have an old round-way Unimat SL and a Logan 10" lathe. I still find
the Unimat useful for really small items where the Logan wound be
clumsy. Also, the Unimat is upstairs in my model shop, while the Logan
is in the basement. The choice of tool is sometimes determined by how
lazy I am at the moment.

Small lathes like the Unimat and Taig are in no way as rigid as a larger
machine. Still, the accuracy they can produce is more a matter of
operator skill than machine properties. The Unimat is about as minimal
as they can get and still be useful, but it can and has produced many
fine small parts.

I'm most of the way through rebuilding a worn-out Levin (about 4")
instrument maker's lathe (rather like an oversize Watchmaker's lathe).
That will stay in the basement shop with the Logan. It's only a little
larger than the Unimat, but vastly more rigid and precise. Even when
it's completed, however, I'll keep the Unimat upstairs where it's often
handy. It's stood the test of time.

Dan Mitchell