G Henslee

Cleetus Awreetus wrote:
I 've attempted to install a 48" x 80" double prehung door (made by
Masonite, from Home Depot) into a pre-framed entry way in my house, and it's
turned out to not be as easy as I thought. When I bought the house, the
door way was simply finished with dry wall. I started by pulling off the
dry wall from the inside, to expose the 2x4's all around the inside of the
door way. After pulling off the dry wall, the exact width of the doorway is
48". I figured since it was 48", then I needed a 48" x 80" prehung door,
which they sold at HD. Little did I realize, that 48" was the interior
measurement of the prehung door frame and that the width from stud to study
would need to be an inch or two more. What's the right way to proceed on
this? Should I even think about trying to pull out one of the 2x4s on one
of the sides to give me an extra 1.5" - 2" or so? Is there another size of
a prehung doors that would better fit my dimensions? Or do I just need to
hire a carpenter to build a custom frame and doors? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Steve

If it's a non-bearing wall, pull the 1-1/2" trimmers and replace with
1/2" ply on each side. You need 50" rough.

but, you mentioned entryway door, so it's likely load bearing. Easiest
way is to custom order a door. won't be cheap, but then are in position
to properly remove wall finish (interior and exterior) and then replace
it if you reframe the opening?