Heathcliff

Default fence installation Q

Planning to put up a fence using "shadowbox" panels -- premade panels
with 1X6 vertical boards on alternate sides of the rails, overlapping.
The kind where you can look through it but only if you look real
sideways. The panels are made to be mounted in between the posts,
requiring a pretty exact fit in between the posts.

Here's my question -- it seems like it would be more easy/convenient to
rent the posthole digger and dig all the holes, then set the posts,
then put in the panels. But it seems like it might be pretty hard to
get the posts spaced at the EXACT width of the panels. Do you space
the posts an inch or two less than the panel width, then trim (rip) the
last board on the panel to fit?

Alternatively I suppose you could do one post, one panel, then the next
post, the next panel, etc. to fit them as you go, but that seems like a
PITA. Many thanks,

-- H