Charlie S.

I usually add telephone jacks by connecting one previously installed
jack

Why do you need a jack for your telephone? Is it really that heavy?
I have never seen the need for a jack, I just pick my phone up and
carry it. However, if you really do need a jack for it, any
automotive bumper jack or hydraulic floor jack should lift a
telephone.

Good point. Someone else brought up the same point to me. I'm assuming
you
mean why not use a cordless phone and carry it around with you. The
basic
reason is the phone is used by my elderly father. He has difficulty
hearing. And, no matter how clear these cordless phones are, they
generally
don't match the clarity and/or loudness of a corded phone. Also, the
cordless phones bring with them other problems, like they run out of
charge
and must be put back in the recharge unit. And, carrying them around is
nuisance and difficult for someone walking with a cane or walker. That
said, he does have a cordless phone. With more jacks installed he
doesn't
need to carry the cordless phone around everywhere he walks to in the
house.
Plus, one less wire extension running across the middle of the floor (to
support one of the current corded phone he uses) decreases the chances
of
him tripping.

By the way, he uses a block and tackle to lift up one of his phones:-)

The block and tackle sounds like a great idea. Maybe you could just
rig up some sort of motorized phone that he could drive around the
house. Like you could get one of those old telephone booths and
attach it to a garden tractor or golf cart and then build a recharge
station with satellite dish and run the whole thing off of a satellite
via remote control. Not only could he have phone, but you could even
hook up the internet and widescreen HDTV satellite studio with
surround sound, inside that booth on wheels. Plus, if he needs any
medical monitoring devices, you could hook that to the remote, and
even set up a automatic drug dispenser complete with a glass of ice
water for pill taking. He'd probably have lots of fun driving that
thing around while talking on the phone too. This would also
eliminate the need for a jack, unless he gets a flat tire or rolls the
thing over while watching the Indianapolis 500 on the HDTV.

Where could I find an old telephone booth?

Telco, for a couple hundred bucks or less if they just want to get rid
of old inventory.

Ebay, probably over a grand for shipping, and if it's labelled "C@@L"
or "Vintage", expect to pay double that amount.

Any city street corner, bring along some tools to unbolt it from the
sidewalk. Prepare for possible arrest, unless you can convince the
cop you either work for the telco or are a soldier of God doing your
part to remove a phone that has been used for porn and drug dealing.

If none of the above are possible, build your own, and hire an artist
to put the "Bell" logo on it.

Came up with too many problems with your recommendations.
1. Phone booths means dialing from a pay phone....he'll need to have lots
of change lying around.
2. With a golf cart he'd have to charge it up. That means a 220-V line
needs to be installed. A golf cart is a good idea. He loves golfing. If I
decide to put in a miniature golf course in the house. I may revisit this
idea. (Seriously though, the poor guy may be wheel chair bound within the
next couple months. That's going to create a whole new set of house
issues.)
3. Then, you say he'd probably have "lots of fun" driving while talking on
the phone. That's the biggest reason I shot down your suggestions. Thanks
anyway... I finally finished installing this jack.