Andrew Moore

Default Building a fence

I've just ordered some materials from a local timber merchant to build
a small gapped fence.
The wood will be pre-cut to the correct lengths. The slats are 6 1/2
feet high and they recommended 3 cross pieces which will be 6 foot
wide.

I'm ok on putting up the fence posts as I've done this a few times
before with paneled fencing, but does anyone have any recommendations
on making up the fence. I have visions of it all being wonky!

Do you attach the cross pieces to the posts and then add the slats or
would you make the slats and cross pieces in a panel like structure
and then attach them to the posts?

Should I screw the slats to the cross pieces or will nailing them be
fine?

Also what's the best way to attach the panels to the posts.

Thanks
Andrew