James Sweet

Thanks to the two of you for this. You have given me an idea. As this
computer even with the one ARCTIC COOLER fan is not quiet enough to have
it in the same room as a microphone, I might as well have the other
three fans running just to ensure the greatest longevity of the machine!
Unfortunately, for recording, I am going to have to put the computer
in an adjacent room (with extension cables) anyway. So does having
four fans running sound reasonable - or unnecessary? If, as Jim
suggests, the two front fans are meant to cool the disks mounted above
them, then at the moment those disks aren't being cooled at all - unless
that ARCTIC COOLER fan up near the top of the back is just so great it's
cooling everything!

Ellie.

In my own experience, the intake fans at the front do very little, I would
just remove that one to improve airflow. The rear exhaust fans will help
though, I recommend plugging those in, it was probably simply never done
when the system was built. If the fans are too noisy you can get special
quiet fans, same goes for the one on the CPU. Do some googling for quiet PC
or silent PC and you'll find lots of good info.