Peter Twydell

Default Office floor: laminate vs. tree wood

In article , writes
In uk.d-i-y, Peter Twydell wrote:

The new office has a laminate floor, which doesn't look all that bad,
but real wood would look so much better.

From the "thinking sideways" corner: we've just recently ripped out the
manky carpet from a small upstairs bedroom which has become my wife's
study; and the flooring we put down was cork tiles (from those nice
people at Siesta Cork Tiles, Croydon - Google for them). With a couple
of coats of a water-based acrylic varnish from Rustins (also available
from the same source in the one delivery with the tiles), they've made a
very nice surface: "domestic office" feel, i.e. neither too much like
a bedroom, nor too cold-n-clinical. Laying was pretty much a breeze
(some prior planning with to-scale plan of room and tiles helped put
part-tiles in reasonable places and avoided narrow strips: and *do*
punch down flooring nails even if you think they're "practically" level
already!). Of course, I'd d-i-y'ed a spreader out of some scrap ali sheet
and finished the job before finding the freebie steel-with-wooden-handle
one they'd thrown in the box... You might even be able to lay right on
top of the existing laminate to cover it up ;-) - the "Acrylicork" tiles
I used are, from memory, just 6mm thick.

The more demanding usage-test will happen in a few months' time, when
I do the same in my home office next door to hers - she's a svelteish
60kg or so, I'm less than twice that - but not by much! ("not overweight,
jsut undertall" ;-) But her office gets a fair bit of traffic from me
and the kids, and there are no early disappointing signs of wear...

HTH - Stefek

Thanks for the suggestions, Stefek, and good luck!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!