Lobster

Default Earth bonding cable - minimum size?

(Lurch) wrote in message ...
On 25 May 2004 11:09:27 -0700,
(Lobster) strung together this:

Just completing a house wiring job, I've now got myself a tad confused
about what size of earth cable I should be using to bond the incoming
gas and water pipes to the main earth near the electric meter.

10mm cables for the equipotential, i.e. gas, water and any other services and
structural metalwork, and 4mm for the supplementary if required, i.e. cross
bonding in the bathroom.

Thanks everyone, that's a relief!

The earth cable is completely protected mechanically
along its length

I'd be very surprised if it was.

Maybe you're right there... "completely protected mechanically" is a
rather vague phrase I keep seeing in the relevant documentation on
this topic, as being one of the criteria for deciding the size of
cable to use. I took it to mean that the earth cable was hidden from
sight/possible damage - mine is inside stud partitions or under
floorboards along its whole length, rather than being attached to
skirting boards(!) or whatever.

David