Jerry Foster

"gglines" wrote in message
news:1ICAe.8399$Eo.5813@fed1read04...
This is the reverse of the question that usually gets asked. Can I MIG

weld
mild steel using a set-up for stainless? I have a Lincoln 175+, running
308L or 309L wire with helium tri-mix gas. I don't do enough welding to
have the wire cost get prohibitive, so if I don't have to switch gas and
wire that will save me some time.

Thanks,

George

Wire is relatively cheap and has a virtually infinite shelf-life, so long as
it stays dry. You can use the gas you have, but it will tend to make for a
hotter arc and you need to run at a somewhat lower current setting than you
would for the more common argon/CO2 mix used for MIG.

Jerry