Ernie Leimkuhler

In article 1ICAe.8399$Eo.5813@fed1read04, "gglines"
wrote:

This is the reverse of the question that usually gets asked. Can I MIG weld
mild steel using a set-up for stainless? I have a Lincoln 175+, running
308L or 309L wire with helium tri-mix gas. I don't do enough welding to
have the wire cost get prohibitive, so if I don't have to switch gas and
wire that will save me some time.

Thanks,

George

Yes you can weld steel with stainless filler, but...
The welds will not be as ductile as steel would be.
The edges of the welds will corrode faster unless they are painted.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams